We hope the day never comes, but should you find yourself in the aftermath of a car accident, here’s what you should and shouldn’t do:
1. Check for injuries. Make sure that you, your passengers and everyone in the other party involved are okay. Call 911 for an ambulance right away if anyone is hurt.
2. Get to safety. Never leave your car in a roadway or other location where it can pose a danger to yourself or other drivers. Safely steer or push your car off the road and stand clear of traffic. Turn on your hazard lights to make your vehicle more visible to passing cars. If you have cones, flares or reflective triangles, set them up to alert oncoming vehicles.
3. Document vehicle damage. Inspect both cars for any signs of damage. Snap pictures of the position of the vehicles and any dings, dents or other damage as long as it’s safe to do so.
4. Obtain a police report. If you call the police, a law enforcement officer can come to the scene of the accident and take down statements from both drivers to include in a report. You can then request a copy to provide to your insurer.
5. Gather information. Exchange names and insurance information with the other driver. Take down the driver’s license and license plate numbers, vehicle make/model and accident location. If possible, get the names and contact information of any witnesses as well as the police officer (including his or her badge number) who took the report.
6. Decide whether to file a claim. There are many factors that go into making this important decision, such as: who is at fault, the specifics of your policy including your deductible, and the impact that a claim might have on your insurance premium.
7. Follow up with your agent. Talk to your We Insure agent to understand your coverage and see whether a filed claim will result in a rate increase. If it does, he or she can shop around to see if there is a better deal elsewhere.
We hope you never have an accident, but if you happen to be reading this before you do, take this opportunity to review your current auto policy with an experienced We Insure agent.
Having the knowledge and confidence that you have the right coverage is one of the best things you can do to protect yourself in the event of an accident. What you don’t want to wonder about after a fender bender is whether you have adequate coverage.
We Insure will comparison shop the policy you need from as many as 100+ top-rated carriers depending on where you reside.
Our agents are independent, which means their loyalty is to you and not a single carrier they represent. Their goal is to find you the best value on the coverage you need — no matter who provides it. Call your local We Insure agent today for a free consultation.